On Saturday May 29th MAMA Sanitation Ambassadors stormed Rimi Market (Kano City) to engage in the monthly cleanup exercise for May 2021 in Kano State, Nigeria.
We had 17 Volunteers from the organization while 6 joined form the community.
- A total of 45 waste bags were collected
- We got good reception from the community
- There is need to provide a Waste collection center for the area as they had none available and only dumped their waste in the open.
Waste Collection Center be created and Waste Drums be provided to the community.
The overall goal of the project is to compliment the efforts of the Government in having an improve standard of living for communities in Kano through effectively waste management and ensuring a clean environment. As an organization we come to achieve this through;
- Joining and engaging community members in cleaning exercise at selected communities/locations
- Sensitizing the public on proper disposal of solid waste, control of wastewater and rainwater
- Sensitizing the public on proper hand hygiene and personal hygiene and
- By collaborating and partnering with relevant organizations if/when necessary.
It is expected that the project will in the long-term help change the orientation of individuals in the community towards keeping a clean, safe and healthy environment.
The Hon. Commissioner for Environment Kano State Dr. Kabiru Ibrahim Getso was also on ground with his team to include senior management staffs of REMASAB (Refuse Management and Sanitation Board) to inspect our activity.